Alise Cortez, Ph.D.
Consultant - United States
With over twenty years of experience in human resources and consulting, Alise Cortez is sought by clients to develop potent leaders and accomplish specific and measurable business objectives.
Faced with holes in its information technology leadership, DIRECTV solicited Alise’s expertise to strengthen their leadership team’s core competencies. She identified the need to establish a strengths-based culture in the department, empowered leaders to create this culture, and developed tools to hone the self-motivating skills necessary to sustain the culture. Her work produced unprecedented results, including measurable performance boosts and decreases in the time and cost of IT services across the enterprise.
In addition to her consulting, for more than fifteen years Alise has conducted investigative research into how people find meaning in their work. This research has culminated in a weekly radio show she hosts on VoiceAmerica Empowerment Channel called “Working on Purpose.” Having lived in Spain and Brazil and travelled through much of Western Europe and South America, Alise is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese. She holds a B.A. from the University of Iowa, an MLS from the University of Oklahoma, and a PhD in Human Development from Fielding Graduate University.
Public Speaking and Service
- Corpus Christi Leadership Alumni
- Leadership Women
- Southern Methodist University
- Society for Information Management – Regional Leadership Forum
- Human Capital Institute
- Whitley Penn
- Dallas County Schools
- Arts Reach Education Committee, Community Member/Liaison, Dallas Opera, 2015 – present
- Board Member, House of Renewed Hope
- Board Member, Woodrow Wilson High School Community Foundation, 2012 – 2015
- Chairman of the Board/Board Member, YMCA at White Rock, 2009 – 2015
- VP Professional Development and Diversity, Dallas Fort Worth Staffing Association, 2009 – 2011
- President/Board Member/Member, Lakewood Service League, 2005 – 2011
- Board Member/Assistant Race Director, Dallas Running Club, 2009
Thought Leadership and Articles
- Reverse Mentoring as a Key Component of Corporate Culture, Enterprise Transformation Results Blog, March 2017
- Cortez, A. & Lynch, O. (2015) Zones of engagement: Where meaning in work meets personal identity, International Journal of Human Resources Development and Management
- Cortez, A., & Lynch, O. (2014) Methodological Explorations on the Relationship Between Meaning in Work and the Self, Leveraging Human Factors for Strategic Change – An Organizational Culture Perspective / Bloomsbury India