Consultant - China
With twenty years of experience working in Asia, including thirteen years in Hong Kong, Joan Xu provides her clients with significant experience generating breakthrough results in business-critical imperatives, strategy, and leadership development and alignment.
In one engagement, Joan led a CEO and his executive leadership team to the successful launch of one of Asia’s largest biodiesel plants. She has also led a number of senior executive leadership development programs for large, multinational companies in Asia, primarily in fast-moving-consumer-products industries. Joan has worked with companies of differing sizes and at varying growth stages of their business in the e-commerce and media industries.
Prior to joining Insigniam, Joan was director of HSBC Asia Investment Banking and a senior associate at JP Morgan, where she specialized in mergers and acquisitions with a focus in telecommunications, media, and entertainment. Her accomplishments include successfully developing the business plan and raising the financing for Cosmedia, a television content production, program syndication, and advertising operation in China; advising the sell-off of Distacom’s equity investment in Japan’s J-phone to Vodafone AirTouch; and advising the first joint-venture formation for Viacom Outdoors International in China.
Joan holds a Bachelor degree in Foreign Economics and Trade from Shanghai International Studies University, a Post-Graduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance from the London School of Economics, and a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from the Wharton School.
Public Speaking and Service
- Guest speaker, Executive MBA Program, Lingnan University, 2013
- Keynote Speaker, Chief Executive China’s Twenty-year Anniversary, 2012
- Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce Human Capital Committee, 2012
- Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Committee, 2011
Thought Leadership and Articles
- Setting the Stage for a Successful Cultural Transformation: What Worked, Enterprise Transformation Results Blog, July 2014
- Navigating the Asian Culture for Breakthrough Performance, Enterprise Transformation Results Blog, June 2014